Other names used:
How does Prozac work and what pharmaceutical group does it belong to?
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant which belongs to the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. The preparation elevates mood, decreases irritation, anxiety, the feeling of fear, removes dysphoria. The preparation does not cause orthostatic hypotension, sedative effect, non cardiotoxic. The clinical effect can be monitored in 1-2 weeks after the initiation of the treatment.
Which conditions are treated with Prozac?
- Obsessive disorders
What should a patient know before using Fluoxetine?
The Prozac should not be used in cases of:
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the preparation
- Chronic liver failure
- Suicidal thoughts
- Lactation period
The preparation should be used with caution in:
- Parkinson's disease
- Liver and renal failure
Which adverse effects may manifest when using the medication?
The side effects of Fluoxetine include:
- CNS: dizziness, headache, somnolence, insomnia, weakness, apathy, asthenia, tremor, agitation, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, mania, hypomania
- Gastrointestinal tract: decreased appetite, dry mouth, hypersalivation, nausea, diarrhea
- Allergic reactions: skin rash, hives
- Other: increased sweating, loss of weight, decreased libido, respiratory, liver and kidney disorders, vasculitis
It is not necessary that the side effects will manifest in an individual but the possibility still exist. For more information please consult your health care provider.
Which groups of drugs or specific preparations may interact with Prozac?
The drug is affected by the following:
- Diabetes treatment
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Cardiac glycosides
- Blood thinners
- MAO inhibitors
- Serotonergic drugs
Tell your doctor about all the herbal preparations as well as prescription drugs that you are currently taking even if they are not on the list.
Important information for the patient:
Fluoxetine is supplied for individual use. Do not use it to treat other conditions not listed in the leaflet. Keep the product out of children reach. Do not reuse any disposable materials if supplied with the preparation.