- Clavulanic acid
Other names used:
Augmentin tablets cantain the active ingridients clavulanic acid and amoxicillin. Amoxicillin is a type of drugs called penicillin-like antibiotics. Amoxicillin works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Clavulanic acid is the medicine which prevents bacteria from destroying amoxicillin.
Augmentin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that kills a wide variety of bacteria that cause a wide variety infections.
Augmentin is used to treat :
- Skin and Skin Structure Infections - caused by β-lactamase-producing strains of S.aureus, E. coli, and Klebsiella spp.
- Urinary Tract Infections - caused by β-lactamase-producing strains of E. coli, Klebsiella spp., and Enterobacter spp.( cystitis )
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections - caused by β-lactamase-producing strains of H. influenzae and M. catarrhalis.
- Bacterial infections of the genital organs, including those following abortion or childbirth.
- Dental abscesses.
- Otitis - caused by β-lactamase-producing strains of H. influenzae and M. catarrhalis.
- Sinusitis - caused by β-lactamase-producing strains of H. influenzae and M. catarrhalis.
Contraindications and Cautions:
ontraindications and cautions: You should not use Augmentin :
- If you have an allergy to penicillin or cephalosporin-type antibiotics.
- If you have a history of liver problems or jaundice caused by previous use of Augmentin antibiotic or other penicillin antibiotics.
You should talk with your health care provider prior to taking Augmentin in:
- History of allergies
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- You should drink plenty of fluid to reduce the risk of crystals forming in the urine
- You should finish the prescribed course of Augmentin even if you feel better
- if you get diarrhoea during the treatment ,consult your health care provider
- If you have liver disorders your doctor should monitor liver function during the treatment.
There are possible side-effects associated with this medicine that can affect individuals in different ways. If a side effect is stated here, that does not necessarily mean the fact that all people using antibiotic Augmentin will experience it or any other.
- Upset Stomach
- Allergic skin reactions such as rash, itching
- Overgrowth of the yeast Candida, which may cause infection such as thrush
- Inflammation of the liver ( hepatitis )
- Blood disorders
- Severe allergic reactions, eg anaphylaxis
It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist what medicines you are already taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with Augmentin. Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medication while taking this one, to ensure that the combination is safe.
Especially pay attention to the following drugs:
- allopurinol ( Zyloprim )
- probenecid ( Benemid )
- another antibiotic
Augmentin can make birth control pills less effective. You should use another non-hormone method of birth control ( such as spermicide , condom, diaphragm ) while taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium to prevent pregnancy.
DO NOT SHARE Augmentin with others. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE for other health conditions. KEEP THIS PRODUCT, as well as syringes and needles, if needed during treatment, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.